- Globalization and development, household cost of living, real income inequality
- Retail Globalization and Household Welfare: Evidence from Mexico, with David Atkin (UCLA) and Marco Gonzalez-Navarro (Toronto) (May 2015)
NBER Working Paper, Article on VoxEU.org, CEGA Research Brief
Research question: What are the implications of foreign retail entry for household welfare in developing countries?
- ICT and Education: Evidence from Student Home Addresses, with Rosa Sanchis-Guarner (CEP, LSE) and Felix Weinhardt (Humboldt University Berlin) (June 2015)
NBER Working Paper
Research question: To what extent do improvements in the available information and communication technology affect educational attainment?
- Trade Liberalization, the Price of Quality, and
Inequality: Evidence from Mexican Store Prices (July 2014)
Research question: What is the effect of developing country trade liberalization on the price of quality, and household cost of living across the income distribution?
- Trade Integration, Market Size, and Industrialization:
Evidence from China’s National Trunk Highway System (Online Appendix) (Earlier version) - Forthcoming at the Review of Economic Studies
Coverage in The Economist's Free Exchange Column (July 2014)
Research question: Are falling trade costs a force for the diffusion of production to peripheral regions, or do they reinforce the concentration of production in space?
Selected Work in Progress
- Tourism and Economic Development in the Long Run: Evidence from Mexico's Coastline, with Cecile Gaubert (UC Berkeley)
Research question: What are the long-run economic consequences of tourism?
- Firm Heterogeneity in Consumption Baskets: Evidence from Home and Store Scanner Data, with Thibault Fally (UC Berkeley)
Research question: A growing literature has emphasized the implications of firm heterogeneity for nominal earnings inequality. This paper explores the implications for household price indices.
- International Trade, PhD level, (Fall 2013, 2014)
- Macro Development, PhD level, (Spring 2014, 2015)
Seminar and Conference Organization
- Trade Work in Progress Seminar, (Fall 2014, Spring 2015), Link to Fall 2014, Spring 2015
- Berkeley Development Seminar, (Spring 2014, 2015), Link to schedule
- Berkeley Summer Work in Progress Seminar, (Summer 2014), Link to 2014, 2015
- BREAD 27th Junior Pre-Conference, (Summer 2014), Link to schedule