- Globalization and economic development, household cost of living, real income inequality
- Retail Globalization and Household Welfare: Evidence from Mexico, with David Atkin (MIT) and Marco Gonzalez-Navarro (Toronto) (May 2016)
Forthcoming at the Journal of Political Economy
Links to: NBER Working Paper, CEGA Working Paper, Article on VoxEU.org, IGC Blog, CEGA Research Brief, CATO Research Brief, Article on MicroeconomicInsights.org
Research question: What are the implications of foreign retail entry for household welfare in developing countries?
- Trade Integration, Market Size, and Industrialization:
Evidence from China’s National Trunk Highway System (February 2014) (Online Appendix) (Earlier version)
Published at the Review of Economic Studies
Coverage in The Economist's Free Exchange Column (July 2014)
Research question: Are falling trade costs a force for the diffusion of production to peripheral regions, or do they reinforce the concentration of production in space?
Selected Work in Progress
- E-Commerce Integration and Household Welfare: Evidence from Taobao's 100 Thousand Villages Project in China, with Victor Couture (UC Berkeley), Yizhen Gu (Jinan University) and Lizhi Liu (Stanford University)
In the field, Link to AEA RCT Pre-Registry
Research question: What are the implications of e-commerce integration for household welfare in China?
- The Gains from Online Integration: Evidence from County-Level Panel Data in China, with Victor Couture (UC Berkeley) and Yizhen Gu (Jinan University)
Research question: What are the local and aggregate economic implications of the internet in China?
- Cleaning Up the Supply Chain: Evidence from Multinational Sourcing in the Congo, with Benjamin Krause (UC Berkeley) and Raul Sanchez de la Sierra (UC Berkeley)
Baseline data collection in the field
Research question: What are the local economic implications of 'responsible sourcing' policies?
- International Trade, PhD level, (Fall 2013-2016)
- Macro Development, PhD level, (Spring 2014-2017)
- Economic Development, Undergraduate level, (Spring 2016-2017)
Seminar and Conference Organization
- Trade Work in Progress Seminar, (Fall 2014 - ongoing), Links to Fall 2014, Spring 2015, Spring 2016, Fall 2016
- Berkeley Development Seminar, (Spring 2014 - ongoing), Link to schedule
- Berkeley Summer Work in Progress Seminar, (Summer 2014 - ongoing), Links to 2014, 2015, 2016
- West Coast Trade Workshop, (Spring 2016), Link to schedule
- BREAD 27th Junior Pre-Conference, (Summer 2014), Link to schedule