- Globalization and development, household cost of living, real income inequality
- Retail Globalization and Household Welfare: Evidence from Mexico, with David Atkin (MIT) and Marco Gonzalez-Navarro (Toronto) (January 2016)
Accepted at the Journal of Political Economy
NBER Working Paper, CEGA Working Paper, Article on VoxEU.org, IGC Blog, CEGA Research Brief, CATO Research Brief
Research question: What are the implications of foreign retail entry for household welfare in developing countries?
- Trade Integration, Market Size, and Industrialization:
Evidence from China’s National Trunk Highway System (February 2014) (Online Appendix) (Earlier version)
Review of Economic Studies, 2014, Volume 81(3), pages 1046-1070
Coverage in The Economist's Free Exchange Column (July 2014)
Research question: Are falling trade costs a force for the diffusion of production to peripheral regions, or do they reinforce the concentration of production in space?
Selected Work in Progress
- E-Commerce Integration and Household Welfare: Evidence from Taobao's 100 Thousand Villages Project in China, with Victor Couture (UC Berkeley), Yizhen Gu (Renmin University) and Lizhi Liu (Stanford University)
Research question: What are the implications of e-commerce integration for household welfare in China?
- The Gains from Online Integration: Evidence from County-Level Panel Data in China, with Victor Couture (UC Berkeley) and Yizhen Gu (Renmin University)
Research question: What are the economic consequences of the internet in China?
- International Trade, PhD level, (Fall 2013, 2014, 2015)
- Macro Development, PhD level, (Spring 2014, 2015, 2016)
- Economic Development, Undergraduate level, (Spring 2016)
Seminar and Conference Organization
- Trade Work in Progress Seminar, (Fall 2014, Spring 2015, Fall 2015), Link to Fall 2014, Spring 2015
- Berkeley Development Seminar, (Spring 2014, 2015, 2016), Link to schedule
- Berkeley Summer Work in Progress Seminar, (Summer 2014, 2015), Link to 2014, 2015
- BREAD 27th Junior Pre-Conference, (Summer 2014), Link to schedule