- "Does the Current Account Still Matter?"(Richard T. Ely Lecture, January 6, 2012)
- "Crises & the International System" (May 2013)
- "Gross Financial Flows, Global Imbalances, and Crises"(L. K. Jha Memorial Lecture, Reserve Bank of India, December 13, 2011)
- "Financial Flows, Financial Crises, and Global Imbalances" (January 2012)
- "The International Monetary System: Living with Asymmetry" (November 2011)
- "International Liquidity: The Fiscal Dimension" (July 2011)
- "Stories of the Twentieth Century for the Twenty-First"
(with Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas), (July 2011)
- "The SDR as an International Reserve Asset: What Future?" (March 2011)
- "Expanding Gross Asset Positions and the International Monetary System"
(Panel presentation at Jackson Hole Symposium, August 2010)
- "Global Imbalances and the Financial Crisis: Products of Common Causes"
(with Kenneth Rogoff), (August 2010)
- "Remembering Alan Stockman"(July 2010)
- "The Immoderate World Economy" Keynote Speech, 3rd Annual JIMF-SCCIE Conference
- "Lenders of Last Resort in a Globalized World"
- "Time of Troubles: The Yen and Japanís Economy, 1985-2008"
- "Financial Instability, Reserves, and Central Bank Swap Lines in the Panic of 2008*"
with Jay C.Shambaugh and Alan M. Taylor), (Dec 2008)
- "Concluding Summary of the May 2008 Bank of Japan International Conference" (Dec 2008)
- "International Finance and Growth in Developing Countries: What Have We Learned?" (April 2009)
- "Financial Stability, the Trilemma, and International Reserves"(with Jay C. Shambaugh and Alan M. Taylor)
- "Implications for the Yen of Japanese Current Account Adjustment"(December 2006)
- "International Risk Sharing and the Costs of Trade" (the Ohlin lectures, May 2007)
- "Pricing-to-Market, the Interest-Rate Rule, and the Exchange Rate", (October 2006)
- "Reflections upon Rereading 'The Capital Myth'",(August 2005)
- "The Renminbi's Dollar Peg at the Crossroads",(July 2006; Revised December 2007)
- "The Unsustainable US Current Account Position Revisited" (with Kenneth Rogoff), (October 2004; Revised November 2005)
- "America's Deficit, the World's Problem", (September 2005)
- "Global Current Account Imbalances and Exchange Rate Adjustments", (with Kenneth Rogoff), (May 2005)
- "Monetary Policy in the Open Economy Revisited: The Case for Exchange-Rate Flexibility Restored", (with Margarida Duarte), (Revised February 2007)
- "Expectations and Anti-Deflation Credibility in a Liquidity Trap: Contribution to a Panel Discussion", (July 2004)
- "External Adjustment", reprinted from Review of World Economics, (December 2004)
- "Globalization,Macroeconomic Performance, and the Exchange Rates of Emerging Economies" , (Revised October 2004)
- "Monetary Sovereignty, Exchange Rates, and Capital Controls: The Trilemma in the Interwar Period"(with Jay Shambaugh and Alan M. Taylor), (April 2004)
- "Monetary and Fiscal Remedies for Deflation" (with Alan J. Auerbach), (January 2004)
"The Case for Open-Market Purchases in a Liquidity Trap"
(joint with Alan J. Auerbach), revised (December 2004)
"The Trilemma in History: Tradeoffs among Exchange Rates, Monetary Policies, and Capital Mobility", (with Jay C.Shambaugh and Alan M. Taylor), (revised March 2004)
"Sovereign Risk, Credibility and the Gold Standard: 1870-1913 versus 1925-31" (with Alan M. Taylor), (January 2003)
"Exchange Rates and Adjustment: Perspectives from the New Open Economy Macroeconomics", (June 2002)
"Saving, Investment, and Gold: A Reassessment of Historical Current Account Data" (with
Matthew T. Jones), (2001)
"Global Implications of Self-Oriented National Monetary Rules"
(with Kenneth Rogoff), (June 2001)
"International Macroeconomics: Beyond the Mundell-Fleming Model," (December 2000)
"Perspectives on OECD Economic Integration: Implications for US Current Account Adjustment" (with Kenneth Rogoff), (2000)
"The Six Major Puzzles in International Macroeconomics: Is There a Common Cause?" (with Kenneth
"New Directions for Stochastic Open Economy Models" (with Kenneth Rogoff), (2000)
"Risk and Exchange Rates" (with Kenneth Rogoff), (February 2001)
"EMU: Ready, or Not?"
Figure 4, and
The data for Figure 2
and the data for Figures 1, 4, and 5
are also downloadable as Quattro Pro files.
"The Global Capital Market: Benefactor or Menace?", 1998.
Books and Other Selected Publications
- "Global Economic Crisis: Impacts, Transmission and Recovery," (editor, with Dongchul Cho and Andrew Mason), (August 2012)
- "Understanding Past and Future Financial Crises"(with Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas), (Feb 2012)
"Too Much Focus on the Yuan?" (with Alan J. Auerbach),October 2010
"Lenders of Last Resort and Global Liquidity: Rethinking the System,"
Development Outreach (World Bank Institute), December 2009
"Global Capital Markets: Integration, Crisis, and Growth," with Alan M.
Jeffrey G. Williamson's review of Global Capital Markets
Globalization and Macroeconomics, Fall 2000.
Money, Capital Mobility, and Trade: Essays in Honor of Robert
with Guillermo A. Calvo and Rudi Dornbusch.
International Economics: Theory and Policy, 10th edition
with Paul Krugman and Marc Melitz,
Foundations of International Macroeconomics, with
The Logic of Currency
Crises, 1994 reprint.
Dynamic Seigniorage Theory: An Exploration, 1997 reprint
"Financial Shocks and Business
Cycles: Lessons from Outside the United States," 1998
- "Model Trending Real Exchange Rates,"
Center for International and
Development Economics Research Working Paper, 1993.
"Dynamic Optimization in Continuous-Time Economic
Models (A Guide for the Perplexed)," 1992 working paper. This
paper is in two parts.
Data from Selected Publications
Data from "Regional Non-Adjustment and Fiscal Policy,"
with Giovanni Peri, Economic Policy, April 1998.
The data files are
a downloadable zipped
the files are formatted for Excel (.xls).
Data from "The Mirage of Fixed Exchange Rates," with Kenneth Rogoff,
Journal of Economic Perspectives, Fall 1995. The
data are in
a single Quattro Pro file.
Data from "International Currency Experience: New Lessons
and Lessons Relearned," Brookings Papers on Economic
files are contained in a