Recent Books (over the last decade or so)
- Scarcity, Conflicts and Cooperation: Essays in Political
and Institutional Economics of Development (MIT Press, 2005).
- Inequality, Cooperation, and Environmental
Sustainability, co-edited with Jean-Marie Baland and Samuel
Bowles, Princeton University Press, 2006.
- International Trade, Growth and Development, Blackwell
Publishing, Oxford, UK, 2003.
- Poverty, Agrarian Structure, and Political Economy in
India, Oxford University Press, New Delhi, 2003.
- Globalization and Egalitarian Redistribution, coedited
with Samuel Bowles and Michael Wallerstein, Princeton University
- Decentralization to Local Governments in Developing
Countries: A Comparative Perspective, coedited with Dilip
Mookherjee, MIT Press, 2006.
- The Contested Commons: Conversations between Economists
and Anthropologists, co-edited with Isha Ray, Blackwell
- Awakening Giants, Feet of Clay: Assessing the Economic Rise
of China and India, Princeton University Press, 2010 (paperback, Fall 2012)
- Chapter 1 Introduction: The Myths Floating around the Giants
- Chapter 2 Economic Reform and Growth: Differing Patterns and Institutions
- Chapter 3 Agriculture: Still the Most Crowded Sector
- Chapter 4 Infrastructure: The Dazzling Difference
- Chapter 5 High Savings, Low Financial Intermediation
- Chapter 6 The Pattern of Burgeoning Capitalism
- Chapter 7 Poverty and Inequality: How is the Growth Shared?
- Chapter 8 The Social Sector: The Relevance of the Socialist Legacy
- Chapter 9 Environment: The Alarming Signs
- Chapter 10 Looking to the Future: Through the Lens of Political Economy
Smriti-Kanduyan (Memory Scratching), Ananda Publishers, 2013 (In Bengali)
Globalisation, Democracy and Corruption: An Indian Perspective, Frontpage Publications, 2015
A. Political Economy and Governance
- "State and
Economic Development: The Need for a Reappraisal of the Current Literature", Journal of Economic Literature,
on Indian Political Economy", Economic and Political Weekly, May 2, 2015
Dynamics and the Plutocrats" (a review of Piketty), Economic and Political Weekly, June 21, 2014
- "Political Clientelism- cum-Capture: Theory and Evidence from West Bengal",
- "Inequality, Inefficiency, and the Challenges for Social
Democracy in India's Economic Transition", In S. Khilnani And M. Malhoutra
(Eds.), An Indian Social Democracy, Academic Foundation, New Delhi, 2013
(a shorter version published in the
Economic and Political Weekly, March 2011)
- "Corruption: A Policy
Perspective", Journal of Public Economic Theory, September 2014
- "Corruption In India:
When Preaching Piety Is Not Enough", Lecture 2013
Voting Patterns in Rural West Bengal: Role of Clientelism and Local
Public Goods", December 2013, (with S. Mitra, D. Mookherjee, and A. Nath),
published in Economic and Political Weekly, March 15, 2014
- "Democracy and Development in India:
A Comparative Perspective", keynote lecture given at Sixty Years of Indian
Democracy Conference at Brown University, May 2010.
- "Notes on the Political Economy of India's Tortuous Transition", Economic
and Political Weekly, December 5, 2009.
- "Impact of Political Reservations in West Bengal's Local Governments" on
Journal of Globalization and Development, January 2010.
- "Local Democracy and Clientelism:
Implications for Political Stability in Rural West Bengal"(jointly with S. Mitra,
D. Mookherjee and A. Sarkar), Economic and Political Weekly,
- "Distributive Conflicts and Indian Economic
Policy: Some Notes on Political
Economy" in C. Ghate (ed.), The Oxford Handbook of the Indian Economy,
Oxford University Press, 2011.
- "Resistance to Economic
Reforms in India", YaleGlobal Online, October
- "Governance Matters in
Economic Reforms in India", slides of Brookings/NCAER Public
Lecture in New Delhi, July 2006
- "The Economist's Approach to
the Problem of Corruption", World Development February
- "Determinants of Redistributive Politics:
An Empirical Analysis of Land Reforms in West Bengal, India",
American Economic Review, September 2010.
- "Opposition to Market
Reforms", Economic and Political Weekly, November
- "Law and
Development", in A.K. Dutt and J. Ros (eds.), International Handbook of Development Economics, vol. II,
Economy of India", in K. Basu (ed.), The Oxford Companion
to Economics in India, Oxford University Press, New Delhi,
Corruption and Government Accountability: An Overview", in
Susan Rose-Ackerman (ed.), Handbook of Economic
Corruption, Edward Elgar Publishing (jointly with Dilip
- "Democracy and
Distributive Politics in India,"in I. Shapiro,
P. Swenson and D. Donno (eds.), Divide and Deal: The Politics
of Distribution in Democracies, New York University Press,
Competition in Economic Perspective" (with Tsung-Tao Yang) ,
Economics Dept. Working Paper, Berkeley, July 2004.
- "The Politics of
Economic Reform in India," [~124k pdf]
in P. Bardhan, Poverty, Agrarian Structure, and Political
Economy in India, Oxford University Press, New Delhi.
Capture of Local and Central Governments," with Dilip Mookherjee, [~217k pdf], plus
figures 1-3 [26k]; CIDER Working Paper
C99-109 (November 1999). A shorter version of the
paper has been published in American Economic Review, May
- "Democracy and Development:
A Complex Relationship", [~57k pdf] ,
in I. Shapiro and C. Hacker-Cordon (eds.), Democracy's
Values, Cambridge University Press, 1999.
B. Institutional Economics
- "Institutions, Trade, and
Economic Development", paper for UNCTAD, Geneva, August
Economics of Development: Some General Reflections," Opening
Lecture at CESifo/BREAD conference on Institutional Economics at
San Servolo, Italy, July 2006, now published in T. Besley and
R. Jayaraman (eds.), Institutional Microeconomics of
Development, MIT Press, 2010.
and Development", in David Clark (ed.), Elgar Companion to
Development Studies, Elgar, 2006.
Matter, but Which Ones?" in a symposium on Institutions
edited by Abhijit Banerjee and Maitreesh Ghatak, Economics of
Transition, July, 2005.
- "Institutional Economics of Development,
slides of LACEA Plenary Lecture," October 2007
- "Middleman Margins and
Globalization", (with D. Mookherjee and M. Tsumagari),
in American Economic Journal: Microeconomics, November 2013
- "Reflections on some Under-researched
Issues in Trade and Development", keynote lecture given to IGC Trade group
at Columbia University (revised in April 2011).
Globalization Help or Hurt the World's Poor?", Scientific
American, April 2006.
- "Globalization and
Rural Poverty", World Development, August 2006.
Inequality, and Poverty: An Overview "[~251k
pdf] (May 2005).
- "The Impact of
Globalization on the Poor", in S. Collins and C. Graham
(eds.), Brookings Trade Forum 2004, Brookings
- "Social Justice in the
Global Economy,"[~128k pdf] September
2000, (first delivered as ILO's Nobel Peace Prize Lecture in Cape
Town, South Africa), now published by ILO, Geneva, 2000.
- Poverty and Inequality in China and India: Elusive Link with Globalisation
Economic and Political Weekly, September 2007
- "Decentralization and Development: Dilemmas,
Trade-offs and Safeguards" (With Dilip Mookherjee), in E.
Ahmad and G. Brosio (Eds.), Handbook of Multi-Level Finance, Elgar, 2015
- "Pro-Poor Targeting and
Accountability of Local Governments in West Bengal" (with
Dilip Mookherjee), Journal of Development Economics April
- with Dilip Mookherjee, "Decentralisation and Accountability in Infrastructure Delivery in Developing Countries" [~226k pdf], May 2000, Economic Journal, January 2006; plus Figs 1-6 [~67k
- with Dilip Mookherjee, "Decentralizing Anti-Poverty Program
Delivery in Developing Countries" [~230k
pdf], April 2005; Journal of Public Economics 2005.
Alleviation Effort of West Bengal Panchayats" (with Dilip
Mookherjee), Economic and Political Weekly, February
- "Decentralization and
Governance in Development" [~291k pdf]
in the Journal of Economic Perspectives, fall 2002.
E. Collective Action
- with Maitreesh Ghatak, and Alex Karaivanov, "Wealth Inequality and
Collective Action," [~497k pdf]
Journal of Public Economics, September 2007
- "Inequality, Coalitions
and Collective Action" (with Nirvikar Singh), Economics Dept.
Working Paper, Berkeley, April 2005.
- with Jeff Dayton-Johnson, "Unequal Irrigators:
Heterogeneity and Commons Management in Large-Scale Multivariate
in National Research Council. The Drama of the Commons,
National Academy Press, Washington, DC, 2002.
- with Jeff Dayton-Johnson, "Inequality and Conservation on the
Local Commons: A Theoretical Exercise" [~330k
pdf] (August 1999); plus Figure 1 [~16k
pdf], in The Economic Journal (July 2002).
- "Water Community: An
Empirical Analysis of Cooperation on Irrigation in South
India", [~57k pdf] June 1999, in M.
Aoki and Y. Hayami (eds.), Community and Market in Economic
- "China and India: The Pattern of Recent Growth and Governance in a
Comparative Political Economy Perspective",
in S. Fan, R. Kanbur, S.J. Wei and X. Zhang (Eds.),
Oxford China Companion, Oxford University Press, 2014.
- "State and Capital in Chinese and Indian Economic
Development", 2013, Lecture
- "Awakening Giants, Feet of
Clay: A China-India Comparative Economic Assessment", public lecture given
at the World Bank in September 2010.
Giants, Feet of Clay: A Brief Assessment of the Rise of China and
India", Journal of South Asian Development, April 2006.
- What Makes a Miracle: Some Myths about the Rise
of China and India Boston Review January/February 2008.
"Economic Reforms, Poverty and Inequality in China and India" ,
in K. Basu and R Kanvur (eds.), Arguments for a Better World: Essays in Honor of Amartya Sen,
Vol II, Oxford University Press 2008.
- "The State of Health Services in China and India in a Larger Context", in Health Affairs, July/August 2008
- "India and China: Governance Issues and Development", Journal of Asian Studies, May 2009
- "Evolution of Land Distribution in West Bengal 1967-2004:
Role of Land Reform" (with M.Luca, D. Mookherjee and F. Pino), Journal of Development Economics, 2014
- "Land Acquisition: Currently A Major Stumbling Block for Development Policy", April 2011, Development Outreach, World Bank.
- "Forests to the People:
Decentralization and Forest Degradation in the Indian Himalayas",
(with J.M.Baland, D. Mookherjee and S.Das), November 2010, in World Development
- "Subsidized Farm Input
Programs and Agricultural Performance: A Farm-level Analysis of West Bengal's
Green Revolution, 1982-95" (with D. Mookherjee), American Economic Journal ,
Applied Economics, October 2011.
- "State-Led or Market-led Green Revolution? Role of
Private Irrigation Investment vis-a-vis Local Government Programs in West
Bengal's Farm Productivity Growth" (with D. Mookherjee and N. Kumar), Journal of Development Economics, 2012.
- "Managing the
Environmental Consequences of Growth: Forest Degradation in the
Indian MidHimalayas" (with J.M. Baland, S. Das, D.
Mookherjee, and R.Sarkar), India Policy Forum, vol. 3,
Approaches to the Question of the Commons" (with Isha Ray), Economic Development and Cultural Change, April 2006
(revised version published in P. Bardhan and I. Ray, eds. The
Contested Commons, and in J. B. Davis and W. Dolfsma, eds.
The Elgar Companion to Social Economics).
Represents the Poor? The Limits of the NGO Movement
in Global Development", Boston Review, July 2011
- "The Environmental Impact of
Poverty: Evidence from Firewood Collection in Rural Nepal"
in Economic Development and Cultural Change, October 2010,
(with J.M. Baland, S. Das, D. Mookherjee, and R. Sarkar)
Economics: New Directions, New Pitfalls",
published with the title "Little, Big" in Boston Review May/June 2013
- "Variations in Relations
of Capital in India", Lecture, 2013
- "The State of Indian Economic Statistics: Data Quantity
and Quality Issues", Lecture, 2013
- "Theory or Empirics in
Development Economics" for a symposium edited by Ravi Kanbur in
Economic and Political Weekly, October 1, 2005.
- "Journal Publication in
Economics: A View from the Periphery," [~18k
pdf], Economic Journal, June 2003.
- "Artfilms, Handicrafts and
Other Cultural Goods: The Case for Subsidy" (with Cecile
Aubert and Jeff Dayton-Johnson), Economics Dept. Working Paper,
Berkeley, June 2004.
- with Herbert Gintis and Samuel Bowles, "Wealth
Inequality, Wealth Constraints, and Economic Performance."
[~675k pdf] A. Atkinson and F.
Bourguignon, eds., Handbook on Income Distribution,
Elsevier, 2000. (CIDER Working Paper C98-097).
- "A Powerful, but
Limited, Theory of Development: A Review Article on Lectures on
Economic Growth by Robert E. Lucas," [~161k
pdf] Economic Development and Cultural Change, January 2004.
H. Selected Op-Ed Pieces
One Size Does not Suit All", Yale Global Online, December 2006
Milton Friedman's Free Market and Freedom", Yale Global Online, January 2007
Virulence of Asian Nationalism", Yale Global Online, April 2008.
does this Authoritarian Moment Mean for Developing Countries?", Financial Times, August 22, 2008.
of Capitalism", Yale Global Online, April 2009
at Sixty", Yale Global Online, September 2009.
Unequal a Country is India?", Business Standard, September 5, 2009.
Vexed Issue of Land Acquisition (in India)", Business Standard, September 23, 2009.
Vexed Issue of Labor Laws(in India)", Business Standard, September 29, 2009.
Uneven Field (on the Land Acquisition Bill in the Indian Parliament)", Hindustan Times, August 2011
Movement in India", Outlook magazine, September 2011
Malaise", Project Syndicate, September 2011
Unequal than Others", Project Syndicate, December 2011
- "Constraints on
Capitalism in India", Outlook magazine, January 2012
Simply Can't Fail (on the Food Security Bill in the Indian Parliament)", Hindustan Times, February 2012
on All Houses", Yale Global Online, May 2012
- "Casteism and Corruption: Beyond Political Correctness", Ideas for India, February 12, 2013
- "The Slowing of Two Economic Giants", New York Times, July 14, 2013
Experts Still Need Local Knowledge", Yale Global Online, December 2013
- "The Labor Reform Myth", Indian Express, August 23, 2014
- "The Contradictions of China's Communist Capitalism" Project Syndicate, July 16, 2015
© Copyright 1999, Regents
of the University of California